2019 Scholarship Programme
Oryx International School is delighted to open its scholarship programme to high performing Year 7 to 10 students for the 2019 academic year.
This exciting opportunity aims to support exceptionally able and motivated students who are academically gifted, dedicated to their studies and will seek to take full advantage of opportunities to extend their learning beyond the core syllabus.
We are pleased to announce that ten scholarships will be available at a reduction of up to 75% of the published tuition fees for the duration of the period of attendance at Oryx International School. (Please note that the admissions and registration fees, uniform, transport costs, trips, education materials, text books (if applicable) and examination fees for IGCSE’s and A-levels are not included and must be paid by parents in full.)
The scholarship will be granted throughout the period of attendance at Oryx International School, provided the student maintains continued academic excellence (standards will be set at the beginning of each academic year), high behavioural standards and regular attendance. The scholarship will be withdrawn if any of these are not adhered to or for any similar reason and will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Executive Principal.
Who can apply?
Scholarships are open to all employees of Qatar Airways or one of its subsidiaries, who do not currently receive the education allowance.
Scholarships will be awarded on the grounds of both achievement and potential.
Students who are applying must be able to demonstrate that current school reports show that they are already performing at a high level in the core subjects of English and mathematics.
Award’s applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of academic ability.
CAT4 results should indicate prediction grades for GCSE’s as follows:
- GCSE/IGCSE grades of B (or 7) and above, or equivalent for English, mathematics and at least 4 additional subjects;
- GCSE/IGCSE grades of A*/ B (8 or 9).
Please note - successful candidates require a high standard of English.
All candidates will be required to sit a CAT 4 and English comprehension assessment.
The parents must be able to pay the balance of the termly fees in full after the scholarship has been applied as per the Fee Regulation Agreement.
The parents must also be able to cover any additional costs that are not covered by the scholarship, including the application and registration fees, school uniform, transport costs, trips, text books (if applicable) or examination entry costs for IGCSE and A-Levels.
Awards will be granted on the grounds of both achievement and potential, without regard to the applicant’s race, gender, physical need or parental income.
The scholarship assessment is based on five factors -
- the personal statement;
- school reports/evidence of educational attainment;
- a cognitive ability assessment (CAT4);
- an English comprehension assessment set by the OIS English Department;
- an interview with the Selection Committee*.
Please read the Terms and Conditions below for further information.
* Selection Committee
All applications will be considered by a Selection Committee made up of the Executive Principal and Head of Secondary and, on behalf of Orbital Education, the Regional Head of Schools or Group Lead for Assessment. The Oryx International School Board determines the number of scholarships available in any academic year. Qatar Airways will make the final decision on candidates based on their applications.
How to apply
Please complete and submit the following to apply:
- The Scholarship Application Form, which can be found here.
- A 500-word personal statement which must be handwritten by the applicant and include the following:
- academic and/or personal achievements;
- interests and hobbies;
- a self-evaluation of strengths and weaknesses;
- the reasons they want to be a student at Oryx International School and what it would mean to them;
- how/what they will contribute to Oryx International School.
- a copy of their two most recent school reports;
- Submit the following documents with the application form:
- a copy of their two most recent school reports;
- any other documentation for high academic achievements, sporting, performing arts or other achievements with supporting documentation; which should include the following:
- certificates of achievement,
- testimonials from coaches or teachers,
- references from institutions such as music, sport, drama, art academies, or
- verified supporting documents from schools, clubs or associations describing the applicant’s extra-curricular interests and achievements will all positively contribute to the application.
- an official letter from Qatar Airways and your spouse’s company stating that neither you or your spouse receive an education benefit;
- your child’s Qatar ID and passport.
- For applications from an educational system other than British, the evaluation system used by the applicant’s school must be explained in detail.
- A confidential reference, covering academic and general matters, may be sought from the current school.
Note: Oryx International School may contact the current school for further clarification on any points above.
Address for application
Please email your application to email@example.com
Include as your Subject: Scholarship application for 2019 academic year
Deadline for applications
Applications for current students must be received by 14 February 2019. If your child is shortlisted, they will be invited to sit an assessment between 1 – 13 March 2019, followed by an interview with the Selection Committee.
All shortlisted candidates will be interviewed with a focus on the candidate’s strengths and interests.
Once a decision has been made, successful candidates will be informed within one week. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified, in writing within two weeks. If, in the opinion of the Selection Committee there are no suitable applicants, no scholarships will be awarded.
Following a successful assessment, your child will be invited to an interview with the Selection Committee.
- the management of Qatar Airways will make the final decision relating to the selection of students,
- following the selection day, the successful applicants will be notified by the school;
- there will be no appeal for unsuccessful applicants.
Successful applicants will then be invited to join our scholarship programme for the 2019 academic school year.
Please note: incomplete applications or applications submitted without school reports will automatically be rejected.
The Selection Committee
- All applications will be considered by a Selection Committee made up of the Executive Principal and Head of Secondary and, on behalf of Orbital Education, the Regional Head of Schools or Group Lead for Assessment. The Oryx International School Board determines the number of scholarships available in any academic year. Qatar Airways will make the final decision on candidates based on their applications.
Terms and Conditions
All scholarship awards are agreed on condition upon meeting the requirements for entry into the school and continuing to meet the expectations laid out below:
1. Scholarship recipients are expected to:
● possess a high level of spoken and written English, as lessons at Oryx International follow the English National Curriculum and are delivered in English;
● maintain the highest standards of attendance and effort in their academic studies, to receive the benefit of the scholarship throughout the period of attendance (from Years 7 to 13);
● be involved fully in Oryx International School activities, showing enthusiasm, commitment and reliability;
● support Oryx International School at academic or non-academic events as requested;
● be a credit to Oryx International School and set a positive example to others.
2. Parents are expected to:
● fully support the student in meeting the obligations set out (above);
● ensure all further fees and charges are settled within the due dates.
3. Withdrawal of the scholarship:
If, in the opinion of the Executive Principal, the obligations set out in paragraphs 1 and 2 (above) are not met, a written notice of warning will be issued to the parent. The scholarship may be withdrawn by written notice to the parent if, in the opinion of the Executive Principal, there has been no significant improvement following a written warning and consultation with the parent and the student. Withdrawal of the scholarship will take effect from the start of the following term.
The scholarship is equivalent to 75% of all tuition fees. This however does not include the application and registration fee, school uniform, transport costs, trips, text books (if applicable or examination entry costs for IGCSE and A-levels). Please note that under no circumstance will the scholarships be exchangeable for money.
5. Standard Terms & Conditions:
These conditions take precedence over any elements of Oryx International School’s standard contract. In all other respects, the standard contract will apply, and these conditions will be interpreted in accordance with them.
6. Transfer or fees in lieu of notice:
For the avoidance of doubt, the benefits payable under a scholarship are not transferable and do not apply to any term for which Oryx International School has required payment of fees in lieu of notice.
For more information about the school please click here: www.oryxschool.qa
You can also contact admissions on +974 4063 0085 for further information or join us .
Places for scholarships are limited.
To be considered for a scholarship for the 2019/20 academic year, please complete the application form and submit it with all relevant supporting documentation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org