Oryx International School is delighted to open its scholarship programme to high performing Year 10 and 12 students for the 2020 academic year.
This exciting opportunity aims to support exceptionally able and motivated students who are academically gifted, dedicated to their studies and will seek to take full advantage of opportunities to extend their learning beyond the core syllabus.
Scholarships on offer
- Performing Arts
We are pleased to announce that ten scholarships will be available for Year 10 and ten for Year 12 at a reduction of up to 75% of the published tuition fees for the duration of the period of attendance at Oryx International School.
Please note: The uniform, transport costs, trips, education materials, textbooks, Bring Your Own Device to School (BYOD), after school activities provided by external providers (if applicable) and examination fees for I/GCSE’s and A-levels are not included and must be paid by parents in full.
The scholarship will be granted throughout the period of attendance at Oryx International School, provided the student maintains continued academic excellence (standards will be set at the beginning of each academic year), high behavioural standards and regular attendance. The scholarship will be withdrawn if any of these are not adhered to or for any similar reason and will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Executive Principal.
Who can apply?
Scholarships are open to all children of employees of Qatar Airways or one of its subsidiaries applying to join Year 10 or Year 12, who do and do not currently receive the education allowance, as well as students that are already in or applying to join Oryx International School.
Scholarships will be awarded on the grounds of both achievement and potential achievement.
- Students who are applying must be able to demonstrate that current school reports show that they are already performing at a high level in the core subjects of English and mathematics
- A report and references will be requested from your current school in support of your application.
- All candidates will be required to sit a CAT 4 and English comprehension assessment.
- The Secondary Year 10 Scholarship Application Form must be completed by the parents of the candidate and signed by the Head of their current school.
- CAT4 results should indicate prediction grades for GCSE’s as follows:
- GCSE/IGCSE grades of B (or 7) and above, or equivalent for English, mathematics and at least 4 additional subjects;
- GCSE/IGCSE grades of A*/ B (8 or 9);
- The Sixth Form Scholarship Application Form must be completed by the parents of the candidate and signed by the Head of their current school.
Specific Scholarship Application
Award’s applicants can apply for one of the scholarships (see below) and must be able to demonstrate the requirements listed in the area of choice:
- This consists of an English paper, a general paper based on a choice of short essay options and a paper on one of the student’s intended A-Level subjects (nominated by the candidate, but excluding English) and an interview.
- Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate outstanding applications in their specific field and to represent the school as an academic role model and beacon for younger students.
- Performing Arts scholarships are awarded to candidates with an extraordinary skill in acting or musical vocal performance or an aptitude in theatre production skills. Candidates are required to submit a review of a recent theatre production they have seen or participated in, a week before the assessment. Acting students will present a monologue of their choice. Music candidates will perform two pieces of music or songs of their choice. All applicants may discuss a production discipline they have had previous experience of or a passion for (lighting, sound, costume, etc.) Candidates will be asked about their experience of musical theatre or drama, based on their submitted review. Students may submit a short video of their own performances (no longer than 10 minutes).
- Successful candidates will be expected to take a leading role in school productions and act as a role model for younger aspiring performers.
- This will be judged based on a portfolio of work brought on the day of the examination, an interview and a short art test.
- Successful candidates will be expected to exhibit their work at appropriate events and to display examples of outstanding creation on a semi-permanent basis.
- Candidates should offer two instruments (which may include voice), one of at least Grade 6 level, one of which should be an orchestral instrument or similar (violin, viola, cello, double bass, trumpet horn, trombone, tube, flute, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, orchestral percussion, guitar, piano, etc). Candidates will be required to play two contrasting pieces on their first instrument and one piece on their second. Candidates will be interviewed by the Head of Music and a member of the school’s Senior Leadership.
- Successful candidates will be expected to perform in public at appropriate occasions and to avail themselves of all opportunities provided for performance in the school.
Year 12 Music - Closing date for entry: Monday, 6th January 2020.
Year 12 Music - Date of audition: Monday, 20th January 2020.
- Candidates should have reached representative level or above in at least one sport and represent the school’s own sports teams as a regular and leading participant throughout the term of the scholarship. They will be asked to demonstrate their ability/potential on the assessment day.
- Each candidate should submit a CV of their sporting achievements over the last three years. They will be interviewed by a member of the school’s Senior Leadership and the Head of Physical Education. Reports will be required from representative coaches and from their present school. Candidates may include a short video to support their application (no longer than 10 minutes).
- Successful candidates will be expected to represent the school in at least two sports and to provide an example of excellent sports leadership for fellow team members.
Closing date for all other areas in Year 12 applications:
- Closing date for entry: Sunday, 2nd February 2020.
- Date of examination/assessment for Sixth Form Scholarships and Awards: Wednesday, 26th February 2020
Closing date for Year 10 applications:
- Closing date for entry: Sunday, 1st March 2020.
- Date of assessment: Monday, 30th March 2020.
- Successful candidates require a high standard of English.
- All candidates will be required to initially fill in an application form to join Oryx International School, they will then be invited to sit a CAT 4 and English comprehension assessment as part of the initial application to join. Once this has been completed, the scholarship form will be assessed.
Parents must be able to pay the balance of the termly fees in full after the scholarship has been applied as per the Fee Regulation Agreement.
Parents must also be able to cover any additional costs that are not covered by the scholarship, including the uniform, transport costs, trips, education materials, text books, Bring Your Own Device to School (BYOD), after school activities provided by external providers (if applicable) and examination fees for I/GCSE’s and A-levels.
Awards will be granted on the grounds of both achievement and potential, without regard to the applicant’s race, gender, physical need or parental income.
The scholarship assessment is based on six factors -
- the requirements stated in this policy for the scholarship applying for;
- the personal statement;
- school reports/evidence of educational attainment;
- a cognitive ability assessment (CAT4);
- an English comprehension assessment set by the OIS English Department, this is only necessary if a student does not have a pass at GCSE English Level 6 or above or if coming from another school system other than the UK curriculum; and
- an interview with the Selection Committee*.
* The Selection Committee
- All applications will be considered by a Selection Committee made up of the Executive Principal and Head of Secondary and, on behalf of Orbital Education, the Regional Head of Schools or Group Lead for Assessment. The Oryx International School Board determines the number of scholarships available in any academic year. Qatar Airways will make the final decision on candidates based on their applications.
How to apply
Please complete and submit the following to apply:
1. 2020 Academic Admissions Application Form, which can be found here.
2. Year 10: The Year 10 Scholarship Application Form, which can be found in the link below.
3. Year 12: The Year 12 Scholarship Application Form, which can be found in the link below.
4. A 500-word personal statement which must be handwritten by the applicant and include the following:
- academic and/or personal achievements;
- interests and hobbies;
- a self-evaluation of strengths and weaknesses;
- the reasons they want to be a student at Oryx International School and what it would mean to them;
- how/what they will contribute to Oryx International School.
5. Submit the following documents with the application form:
- a copy of the two most recent school reports;
- any other documentation for high academic achievements, sporting, performing arts, music or other achievements with supporting documentation; which should include the following:
- certificates of achievement,
- testimonials from coaches or teachers,
- references from institutions such as music, sport, drama, art academies, or verified supporting documents from schools, clubs or associations describing the applicant’s extra-curricular interests and achievements will all positively contribute to the application;
- your child’s Qatar ID and passport.
6. For applications from an educational system other than British, the evaluation system used by the applicant’s school must be explained in detail.
7. A confidential reference, covering academic and general matters, may be sought from the current school.
Note: Oryx International School may contact the current school for further clarification on any points above.
|Year 10 Scholarship Brochure 2020||View|
|Year 10 Scholarship Application Form 2020||View|
|Year 12 Scholarship Brochure 2020||View|
|Year 12 Scholarship Application Form 2020||View|
Address for application
- Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include as your Subject: Scholarship application for 2020 academic year
Deadline for applications
Closing date for Year 10 applications:
- Closing date for entry: Sunday, 1st March 2020.
- Date of assessment: Monday, 30th March 2020.
Closing date for Year 12 applications:
- Application closing date for entry: Monday, 6th January 2020.
- Date of assessment: Monday, 20th January 2020.
- All other scholarships
- Applications closing date for entry: Sunday, 2nd February 2020.
- Date of assessment: Wednesday, 26th February 2020
All shortlisted candidates will be interviewed with a focus on the candidate’s strengths and interests.
Once a decision has been made, successful candidates will be informed within one week. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified, in writing within two weeks. If, in the opinion of the Selection Committee there are no suitable applicants, no scholarships will be awarded.
Following a successful assessment, your child will be invited to an interview with the Selection Committee.
- the final scholarship awards will be approved by the management of Qatar Airways;
- following the selection day, the successful applicants will be notified by the school;
- there will be no appeal for unsuccessful applicants.
Successful applicants will then be invited to join our scholarship programme for the 2020 academic school year.
Please note incomplete applications or applications submitted without school reports will automatically be rejected.
Terms and Conditions
All scholarship awards are agreed on condition upon meeting the requirements for entry into the school and continuing to meet the expectations laid out below:
1. Scholarship recipients are expected to:
- possess a high level of spoken and written English, as lessons at Oryx International follow the English National Curriculum and are delivered in English;
- maintain the highest standards of attendance and effort in their academic studies, to receive the benefit of the scholarship throughout the period of attendance (from Years 10 to 13);
- be involved fully in Oryx International School activities, showing enthusiasm, commitment and reliability;
- support Oryx International School at academic or non-academic events as requested;
- be a credit to Oryx International School and set a positive example to others.
2. Parents are expected to:
- fully support the student in meeting the obligations set out (above);
- ensure all further fees and charges are settled within the due dates.
3. Withdrawal of the scholarship:
If, in the opinion of the Executive Principal, the obligations set out in paragraphs 1 and 2 (above) are not met, a written notice of warning will be issued to the parent. The scholarship may be withdrawn by written notice to the parent if, in the opinion of the Executive Principal, there has been no significant improvement following a written warning and consultation with the parent and the student. Withdrawal of the scholarship will take effect from the start of the following term.
The scholarship is equivalent to 75% of all tuition fees. This however does not include the school uniform, transport costs, trips, text books, Bring Your Own Device to School (BYOD), after school activities provided by external suppliers, (if applicable or examination entry costs for IGCSE and A-levels). Please note that under no circumstance will the scholarships be exchangeable for money.
5. Standard Terms & Conditions:
These conditions take precedence over any elements of Oryx International School’s standard contract. In all other respects, the standard contract will apply, and these conditions will be interpreted in accordance with them.
6. Transfer or fees in lieu of notice:
For the avoidance of doubt, the benefits payable under a scholarship are not transferable and do not apply to any term for which Oryx International School has required payment of fees in lieu of notice.
For more information about the school please click here: www.oryxschool.qa
You can also contact admissions on +974 4063 0085 for further information or to book a visit.
Places for scholarships are limited.
To be considered for a scholarship for the 2020/21 academic year, please complete the application form and submit it with all relevant supporting documentation by email to email@example.com