Rewards, Behaviour and the House System
The behaviour system operates while a child is the responsibility of the school. It is in place for the health and safety of everyone in school. If we feel that this is in jeopardy, you will receive a call from the bus company and this will be reported to the school. Any student misbehaving may be denied use of the bus service.
The House System
- Rewards are linked to positive behaviour and excellent learning. All students at Oryx are grouped into houses.
- The house system provides an opportunity for students to learn and collaborate in vertical groups alongside students of different ages. It also provides opportunities for siblings to spend some time with each other. The houses are the focus for friendly, light-hearted student competition in a wide range of activities, including academic, sporting and clubs. Many student activities throughout the year are organised by houses to promote the broadest possible participation from all year groups.
- When students start at school, they are assigned to a house so they can begin to develop a sense of belonging and identification through teambuilding and peer group activities. Siblings will be assigned to the same house. House captains will be nominated at the start of each academic year. All staff at Oryx are also assigned to houses. Each house has its own unique identity and members aspire to honour the ‘characteristics’ of their house.
- Students may earn house points for a range of contributions to school life, including academic, athletic, arts, community service, behaviour and attitude.
- At the Primary school assembly each week, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup.
- In Secondary, we celebrate the inter-house competitions by regularly updating students and staff of the points achieved towards the final trophy at the end of the academic year.
Behaviour on School Transport
Appropriate conduct on school transport is vital for student safety. We will promote the following four safety rules for you as parents to reinforce at home and with your drivers.
· Seat belts must be worn at all times;
· Students will not distract the driver;
· Students will remain properly seated and keep hands and feet to themselves;
· Students will not eat, drink or chew gum on the bus.
· Students will respect the instructions of the monitor/driver at all times
Parents must their own arrangements with the bus company as this is a sub-contractual
agreement with the school. Please inform the bus company if your child is absent from school.
Any change to your usual routine with the bus service MUST be communicated to the school officeAND the bus company before 12.00pm.